Thursday, June 18, 2009

When is it time to purchase Rain boots?

(snapshot of the weather forecast from weather.com)

That is the anticipated weather report for the next 10 days for NYC.

Gross. You do not want to see the past 15 days either. It looks very similar.

Where do I live anyway? I did not sign up for this. NY summer begins promptly at the end of May and the beginning of June. Immediately the temperature rises to about 78-85 degrees Celsius, the sun comes out, air conditioners go into windows, hemlines rise and collars lower, the cat calls get louder and everyone drinks their coffee or tea on ice. NY is like this all summer and doesn't let up until late August or September.

NY is not: the loudest thunderstorms of your life, rain jackets, galoshes, wet pants, wet seats on the train because someone HAD to put their umbrella on the seat, or hot coffee at the end of June. It does not rain, then rain, pour, sprinkle, thunder storm then keep raining in NY. I guess someone did not tell the weather.com people this and unfortunately I'm experiencing a new NY.

I wouldn't mind sooo much but this has gone on for over a month and when I came back from Wisconsin everyone was considering ME tan! Something is not right with this picture. I tend to go back to the idea of cough cough... climate change. My parents like to disregard the whole climate change "theory," as they would call it, and defer to the more widely accepted idea that our plant's poles are shifting.

I personally think it's pretty reasonable to think bad carbon molecules and greenhouse gasses--that we create through processing fossil fuels and eliminating rain forests that would otherwise consume them--are trapping sunbeams into our atmosphere and then warming the planet creating irregular climate patterns. Or it could be both but if you want to think it's only that the magnetic poles are switching, that's cool too. Either way, this weather pattern is not normal. 80 degrees in Wisconsin in early June and 50 degrees in NYC in Late June? You decide.

On the bright side of this dark weather pattern, I love running in the rain and I have always wanted rain boots and a clear umbrella but I only think about those things when it is raining. So lately I've been enjoying wet outdoor runs and if this keeps up I may just remember to go buy some cute rain boots and a clear umbrella. Or maybe I'll get this one by one of my favorite Graphic Designers.

3 comments:

Nydia said...

I'm totally with you on the global warming effect ... we need to leave the rainforest's alone! and handle things ASAP!

AND I totally purchased three pairs of rain boots on Sat. when I saw this weather was in my near future ... Only ... they haven't yet arrived!

So my Ugg's are drenched and my jacket is pissed! b/c it was expecting to be "off duty" and hanging out with it's jacket/coat friends in Club Storage by now ...

OH and I've got a clear umbrella -- from Bloomingdales -- THAT BROKE!

OH and I bought that beautiful Sky umbrella from MoMa two years ago ... and the little sister lost it! So someone else is being stylish w/ MY umbrella!

Note to NYC: You are NOT Seattle ... say it with me, NYC, "I AM NOT SEATTLE!!"

katefischer said...

So maybe I should just forge out the weather with my cheap $5 umbrellas. It sounds like you've tried the others and they may not be the best ideas in a recession. It's not that my $5 ones are bad... they're just not cool in any way.

Lily and Logan said...

I love coming here and seeing that dear Nydia commented before me. NO ONE is supposed to comment before me though... ha ha.

I am seriously hating on this weather. If it rains Friday I will curse the heavens. Because that will mean finding something inside to do with the kids while at a freaking beach town. No way we're going to be holed up in the hotel room all day. No way!