Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Your heart is true... your a pal and a confidant.

Thank you for bein' a friend!

I was chatting with a friend (Stacey) and I think I realized why people like Facebook or why they read other peoples' blogs. It's simple, either they are a bit of voyeur/stalker or they love to see stuff about themselves. So, in hopes that my friends stop by MY blog, or some voyeurs want to know more about other peoples' lives, here's my "friend blog." It goes from long-term friendships to more recent newbies. :-)

Stacey Karnitz-Kielcheski
years known: 15-ish
location now: Antigo, WI
How we met: I think it was in band, Stacey played the flute, I played the trumpet. The rest is history.

Since then: Stacey and I have had many adventures: Camping in my back yard; Going to Michigan with her family and listening to "paint it black" in the back of her Dad's truck; Hanging out in Grandmas house with a TP tail; her awesome wedding where I got pegged as the first drunk brides made; And now I'm the god mother to her baby Aidan.

Eric Knecht (aka "pen pal" or "E")
years known:14-ish (yeah more than I thought actually)
location now: Kailua, HI
How we met: Church Camp. I was grounded and sent to church camp with Aunt Judy, he was picked up straight from skateboarding and driven to church camp. They made us mingle with the other 'Catholic Charismatic youths,' I looked around and saw someone more miserable than me in a hooded sweatshirt, jeans and airwalks (or something similar) and said "hi, I'm Kate how do you say your last name?" THE END.

Since then: We were pen pals for years, we wrote lots of novels to each other about life, stuff and more life stuff. We did the on-and-off friends thing for a while. So we refused to talk to each other for like 2 or 4-5 years and then eventually someone picks up the phone, usually Eric. Also we've had the occasional play dates: Little Chute, WI, Madison,WI, Antigo,WI, New York, NY, Oahu, HI, and Chicago, IL (or nearby). And who knows where we'll meet next I'd really like to see Hawaii again while he's there.

Dana Hallisy
years known: 13-ish
location now: Appleton, WI
How we met: Tom McNeil's Cabin (I think). Also she dated a guy I dated briefly (Ryan) and I dated CJ who she was very close with... or we met in Math Class. I'm not really sure but I remember that Stacey was hanging out with Dana and I thought "I really want to be friends with that girl" so I made it happen.

Since then: We went to UWSP together, almost killed each other over the placement of silverware & boyfriend sleepovers but made up over the offer of a Brandy Ol' Fashioned. Now Dana has a little boy Jalen and is soon to be married! She's my little D and I love her.
Jedd Flanscha
years known: 9
Location: NY, NY
How we met: Hm. Technically we first met at dorm orientation freshman year. Or when we had like ALL of our classes together at the Art building. However, this is how we really met: We were freshman and wanted to get drunk. So we both went to the swimmers house party. I went upstairs to use the facilities and met Jedd parked by the kitchen sink with a glass of water. He had a bit too much to drink and his friends parked him there. So I said "hi, you're in my art classes.. and you live in my dorm."

Since then: Jedd and I both had our internships in NYC. He worked for Penguin Publishing & I slaved for Art in America Magazine. We spent that summer as poor-assed interns in NY and loved it. I think the enjoyment could be blamed on Kmart in Astor place and a place called Stingy LuLu's. Eventually, we both moved back to NY after graduating from UWSP. Jedd moved 6 months before me and since I was here visiting, I picked him up from the airport and got his apartment keys for him even though I didn't live here yet. (yeah kinda bizzare).

Beth Zold
years known: 8-ish
location now: Normal, IL
How we met: Beth was a desk worker when I started working at Burroughs Hall as a CA (RA for everyone who didn't go to UWSP).

Since then: Just before I began grad school, Beth asked if I'd like to travel with her. I said yes. We went to Dublin, Galway, London, Bath and Belfast. It was the first time I'd been out of the U.S. (other than Canada) and same for Beth. I had some Guinness and spilled it all, Beth had a Harp and didn't spill hers. We hung our heads over a cliff where tourists sometimes die. And had some more great beer while we watched some little kids do that Irish dance thing. Then we took a jaunt over to London but saw Harry Potter in Bath (where they serve ale in the theater, yeah!). And finally we contemplated the creation of Giants Causeway after a lovely hike over a rope bridge. Hey Beth, let's do that again but maybe somewhere where it's warm and not raining.

Liz Vanlysal
years known: 7-ish
location now: Milwaukee, WI
How we met: The first time we met was in George Henze's apartment. I was there to welcome my new Co-CA (co-RA) Liz to Burroughs Hall. Then we went a summer before seeing each other again and in the fall of 2001 BAM Insta-friends. Well, it mostly had to do with Liz's great selection of movies and large TV!

Since then: I tried to show Liz my boobs every day for about a year with no success. We made some AWESOME bulletin boards together and then she moved to another hall. Now we i-chat all day while I'm at work in NY and she's in WI. Also, there's the occasional phone call and trips from NYC to Milwaukee and from Milwaukee to NYC. She's welcome anytime! but I need notice so I can ship my cat out (she's allergic).

Aren Olsen
years known: 7-ish
location now: NY, NY
How we met: August 17, 2001. I was visiting Dana in Stevens Point. Dana and I went to a concert, Dana's roommate drank our booze during the concert, so we went to Andrea Wetzel's house where the Band was after the concert with beer. Voila! I met Aren (aka Gunnar the drummer). He gave me a "punisher" which is not bad or anything, just a sneaky kiss.

Since then: I dated Aren for 4 years with a break here or there. Then I moved to NYC to live in a house with him and his band mates. That was interesting. Well, we broke up. I moved out and now we still have similar tastes in food and drink so why throw that away too?

In the end I guess Aren and I were more than just bf /gf.. we ended up actually being friends. Go figure. Well, he watches my cat too so I need to keep him in the loop.

Joni Warren
years known: 4
Location: NY, NY
How we met: For the first job I had in NYC, I interviewed first and Joni interviewed 2nd. Luckily we both got the job otherwise we wouldn't be friends. After meeting Joni, we found out we had lots of stuff in common. We're both tall (Joni is one of the only girls taller than me). We both look great in heels. We both love beer and food!!! We are both from the Midwest (Joni's from Louisville, KY). Both Leos. We both HAD boyfriends in bands. And we both lived in the shittiest part of Bushwick, NY.

Since then: Joni moved away to Florida. Then she promptly decided to move back to NYC after contemplating Cello lessons to relieve her Floridian boredom. Recently she had a surprise party for her bf which was awesome. However, we've been doing the "we MUST hang out soon" routine for a while. So JONI, we need to hang out again soon! Miss ya.

Shannon Blazek (mystery friend aka L.A.)
years known: 3 1/2
location now: Cedar Rapids, IA
How we met: He was the first guy I'd ever seen with dreadlocks and a long beard (that I think had like rubber bands in it) sitting in a martini bar in Stevens Point. As an Aquarius, Shannon was highly interesting to this Leo. So I HAD to talk to him. Correction: The Aquarius was the one that approached [me], and the first exchange of words was "you smell" from the hippy looking dude. Finally after egging me on all night, he gave me his email and I emailed him from my cell phone which I guess was impressive that I had some knowledge of technology. I guess girls in Iowa are lagging in technology?

Since then: We've become phone pals and chat about life, work, girls, boys, etc. And although we've only met once, we keep in touch. He calls me NY and I call him LA. So, take it easy LA.

Sarah Boyd
years known: 3-ish
location now: Brooklyn, NY
How we met: Awe. I kept touching her boob by accident.

Well here's the whole story. Sarah started working for NYSC a few years ago and her first week I guess I was a "hand-talker" cuz I kept accidentally touching her boob when explaining something with my hands. Well this went on the whole week and I'm lucky she didn't file a sexual harassment complaint on me because I just couldn't control my hands. Anyway at the end of the week we went for drinks and I touched her butt my accident too! So, I told her "Seriously I'm not trying to do this but you totally need to get even so... Go ahead you can touch my boob." So by the 2nd drink we had officially sealed the deal as New BFFs.

Since then: I've had the fortune of working with Sarah again at mark; I was at the hospital the day after she had Lily and Logan; I've gotten to eat her homemade frozen yogurt and packed a picnic to share in the ghetto grass of Union Sq.... and I'll hopefully see her this week or next Oh maybe Today!

Lauren Townsend
years known: 2-ish
location now: NY, NY
How we met: The first day I met Lauren she was wearing an H&M white top with tiny black polka-dots. She picked me up from Avon reception and was like "Hi, I'm Lauren" anyone who knows her also knows there is a sweet tone of voice that goes with that.

Since then: As it turns out Lauren and I both like wine. We HAD this cute little wine bar that was ours... then it turned into a speakeasy type of beer bar. And I'm too afraid to try it out cuz it's just this black door with a white buzzer who knows what could happen. (matrix?)

So, although I don't see Lauren as much as I would like to lately (since she ditched this job to go work for herself ((pure genius)), I still talk to her occasionally. Actually we are very overdue for a hangout session I'm going to have to amend it this week. Watch out Lauren we are going to hang out soon.
Mike DiTomo
years known: 1+ a few months
location now: Bethlehem, PA (soon to be NYC)
how we met: Pratt DM. It's not that I'm not friends with other people from school but Mike is the only one I really talk to frequently (every day, all day on i-chat). Also, we might move in together this December and I don't want that awkward moment of "so, I saw your friend blog... I'm not on it? huh."

Since then: ... tk

THE END! Those are all the friends I have.

Actually no, that isn't true. If you'd check the number of friends on my facebook profile you would know that I have like hundreds of friends. However, these are the people I talk to a lot lately. So, for the most part they are the only important ones. I'm sorry if you did not make the cut but better luck next time. Perhaps if you made more of an effort... ;-)

3 comments:

Lily and Logan said...

Maybe it's because I just left Lil and Lo at daycare for the first time... and I'm emotional anyway. But you TOTALLY just made me cry. And I'm supposed to be working now. So, thanks. ; )

Liz said...

Hey dude. I might just start blogging again. One new post up, although it's not news to you.

Anonymous said...

whoa. whoa. stop the presses... well at least the blog posts. Correction: The Aquarius was the one that approached you, and ALSO the first exchange of words was "you smell" from yours truly. Plain and simple. I know this might be the vast world of the internet, but I refuse to have my reputation in cyberspace full of falsities!!!