Wednesday, September 3, 2008

No Grandma, I'm not running the marathon this year.

Today—on my way back to NY from Wisconsin—my dad and I stopped by my grandparents place (his parents) and the first thing grandma said to me, before even saying hello, was "so your not running the marathon anymore huh?" I should precursor that with the fact that grandma is not 100% all there all the time. But that was the first thing she said and it really stuck with me. Thanks Grandma.
For the record, Grandma has always had the knack of saying things that shouldn't effect you but somehow do because of her 'graceful tact'. For instance phrases like "oh you've trimmed down since the last time I saw you." or "your hair looks much better now" were common instead of something simple like "you look nice." It is just one of the things we will always love about Grandma Fischer.

Anyway, nope I'm NOT running the marathon again this year. I do have guaranteed entry to the NYC ING marathon but I'm not doing it. I'm sort of bummed... no, I'm really bummed. I want to run it but I guess we make sacrifices for the other things in life that we must do. The reason I have to forgo yet another year is school. School is keeping me very busy, which I'm beginning to really despise. I know it's supposed to add another layer to who I am and it's an education so "no one can take that away from me." But I'm venting and feel like I'm slightly loosing touch with the things I really love to do. grrr.

So that's it. I'm not running it. I guess I'll save my entry for next year and then I will have no excuse to cancel my registration. I just miss that adreneline rush that you get from it. Oh well, I'm going to pass out now and leave this post with some great pics from the year I DID run the ING NYC marathon in 2006. Maybe I can get some more friends and family to come out and cheer me on in 2009. :-) Good night!

1 comment:

Lily and Logan said...

Kate in 2009! I'll be there with Lil and Lo. Give me a good way of getting to be in the front of the running 'audience'. ("Move outta the way. Toddlers coming through. Eeeks... they'll be toddlers.)