Monday, May 4, 2009

Phase I: I'm forgetting something

Welllllllll, it's over. All over. I'm talking about Grad school. I'm not going to take my life or anything and leave a devastating blog to tell everyone. That would be sick. I'm 100% sane (I think) and healthy so no, there is no goodbye letter today.

I'm kinda hesitant to leave a "I'm done" blog so I think I'll have a few posts rather than one. I'm definitely going to go through some 'phases.' I think this is will help me come to grips with the things I no longer have to sacrifice in life, and the crazy things I had to commit to.

I am in denial right now. I could not leave my apartment this morning because I thought "I was forgetting something." I do not feel done. The same thing happened when I left work today. I stood facing my cubical thinking "where am I going? I'm forgetting something." This lasted a bit too long so I know I'm in denial now.

So yes, we'll ease into this transition from crazy life to real life. I'll start with coming to grips with all of the things I no longer will sacrifice for the good of my education.

I no longer will give up:
  • SLEEP!!!! 2-4 hours is NOT adequate
  • Eating dinner at a table without a electronic device in front of me. The laptop is probably not good on the food or me.
  • Eating 'real' meals. Apparently an avocado and red wine is not considered 'dinner.' Ha, who knew.
  • Spending time with my friends.
  • Running or Spinning when I want and not just when I have enough time to.
  • Cuddling with my cat (yes we cuddle, and mostly on the weekends. We have a date for Saturday morning actually, she's stoked).
  • My precious weekends. I will give them up to Netflix, weekend trips, and sleep instead.
  • Brunch. (Jeewon, we will be 'those' people again)
  • Clean clothes (p.s. I always had clean undies even if I had to buy more, i do have limits)
  • A tidy apartment... you DON't want to know how bad it got. uuuuhhh. It still gives me nightmares.
  • A full refrigerator
  • Healthy food
  • My personal alone time. Believe it or not, I'm an introvert and that means I went through 90% of grad school not in my prime energy level, just imagine if y'all left me alone...
  • Reading for enjoyment. I have two books lined up thanks to Sarah Schlow.
  • Getting my nails done (I am a Wisco girl, but I DO live in NY)
  • An Amazing BEER on a Friday night.
  • Moisturizing! I realized I'd forgotten about this after talking to Richa on Saturday. She was amazed that she had time to moisturize before school that weekend and I realized I had forgotten about that luxury.
  • Going home for Thanksgiving which is more fun since I realized that drinking with Dad is pretty awesome.
  • Shopping for necessities. My cat will appreciate this as well.
  • Going to the Beach. I've never really gone to the beach in NY but... I plan on it this summer.
  • Summer!
  • Going to see movies
  • Waking up Happy!


(me giving up sleep)

(Apples for dinner!)

(Eating dinner—courtesy of Sarah S—in front of my macbook)

(I told you we cuddle)(We really cuddle)

(Not waking up happy)

2 comments:

sarah said...

Oh Teta Tots looks so cute in those photos. I bet she's one happy little booger.
The funny thing is that as I'm reading that list I realized a lot of it applies to me, although I'm not in school. So I guess being a mom to twins is like permanent grad school? Or at least until they're old enough to go to school themselves.
Can't wait for dinner tonight!
xoxo

katefischer said...

Wow, I'd bet it feels the same. You give up so much all at once! yipes. That's why my next goals are to find some sort of balance I need it right now. eek. Cannot wait for Gustos. mmmm