Thursday, March 19, 2009

mmmmmmmmmmud!



his & hers



spring mud


Walk This Way

Here are just a few pics from I pulled from other peoples flickr sites on the interweb. They reminded me of the Spring-time Squisy-mud afternoons of my childhood.

I grew up on about 3 acres of land however our house was surrounded by many many more acres of nature, land, trees, and wild things to inspire the growing imagination. Anyway, it's a balmy 65 degrees in NYC today and I just had a flashback of getting off the bus and running up our muddy gravel driveway in the midst of spring and then playing in our green/brown thawing yard.

I should let you know that Spring in Wisconsin is my #1 all-time favorite smell ever!!!! I actually had an ex-boyfriend tell me that the thing he'd miss about me was how much I loved the smell of spring. Unlike NYC's buffet of fragrant, pee, dog poo, and "god knows what" coming from the streets, Wisconsin actually smells like new-birth. It's refreshing... the ground thawing and getting all wet and squishy and the mud moving under your feet.

So, the warm air of "not so sure this is Spring" is giving me flashbacks of those lovely afternoons growing up in Wisconsin. It would be after school around 3:30pm and 45-50 degrees (yeah that is warm in Wisco terms) and I remember the light staying out longer so there was time to play in the squisy back-yard. I never wore the right boots so my tennis shoes would get so gross and muddy and my feet and socks ended up wet and wrinkly. But the smell of Spring was phenomenal!!!! mmmm.

Maybe this means someday I will go back to live in Wisco. SOMEDAY... not tomorrow and not soon and not in the next few years. But someday, I don't think I would hate smelling spring that way again, I would probably "opposite hate" it.


The mud was this deep


3 comments:

Liz said...

dude, the mud in that last picture wasn't even deep.

sarah said...

squishy squishy mud. I love it! If it rains here today I'll be getting some of my own. It's funny how when you're a kid you just want to get dirty in it. But as a mom... you try to avoid your kids getting into it. Maybe when they're older. Now they'd just eat it. lol

katefischer said...

mmmm. mud pies.

Those were WAY to much fun... you could use twigs and rocks for spices and grass as a garnish... okay now my crazy artsy side is shining through.